by Strengthening Cities and Urban-Rural Connections
January 29, 2020 at the Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center in Columbus
- To better understand and address the real-life context of Extension work in urban communities (scale, diversity, complexity, urban-rural interface).
- To strategically align with the National Urban Extension Leaders (NUEL) Framework and Integrate with university, college, and other converging interests.
- To collaboratively focus on OSU Extension's strategies to be relevant locally, responsive statewide, recognized nationally.
- To create a Plan of Work with an understanding of the weight of the past, push of the present, and pull of the future.
- To strengthen Ohio by strengthening cities and urban-rural connections.
Who Should Attend
The event is open to everyone interested in how OSU Extension can better address Ohio’s urban influence and urban-rural interface.
Registration is $20 (includes morning refreshment and lunch). Please register by January 20. The registration fee will be waived if a short article and photo for the OSU Extension in the City blog are submitted to Michelle Gaston.email@example.com by February 20. OSU employees may provide Org and Fund numbers for internal payment transfer.
9:00 a.m. Registration and Refreshments
9:30-10 a.m. Welcome and Introductions - Jackie Wilkins
10-10:30 a.m. Urban Extension, Aligning and Integrating with Converging Interests
- University: OSU Vision and Reflection on Urban Universities and Thriving Communities, OSU's Sesquicentennial Event and the OSU Extension Annual Conference
- College: CFAES Integration (Rural-Urban Interface - Greg Davis)
- Extension: Aligning OSU Extension with the National Framework and Implementation Plan (Nicole Debose)
10:30-11:15 a.m. Possible Future - Whitney Gherman & Nicole Debose
(World Cafe Roundtables: Weight of the Past, Push of the Present, Pull of the Future, from Equitable Futures Toolkit)
- Positioning (Awareness and Accessibility) OSU Extension locations and presence. How we market and communicate.
- Programs (Relevance and Impacts) The people we reach/don't reach. Our programs, products, and events.
- Personnel (Capacity and Alignment) How we attract, hire, develop, and retain talent for long-term and short-term priorities.
- Partnerships (Connections and Resources) Types and degrees of partnerships, funding, and other resources leveraged.
11:15 - 11:45 OSU Extension in Ohio's Most Populated Counties (Case Study Research Summary and Discussion - DaVonti' Haynes & Amy Michaels)
11:45 a.m. Preparing for Afternoon
12-2 p.m. Planned Future: Working Group Roundtable Luncheon - Priority Identification, moving from current to desired state
What do we need and how do we know we're making progress?
2-2:15 p.m. Break
2:15-3:00 p.m. Innovative and Practical Next Steps: Working Group Reports on Positioning, Programs, Personnel, Partnerships
3:00-3:30 Final Reflections & Closing Remarks
- Impact: Relevant Locally, Responsive Statewide, Recognized Nationally
- Integration and Alignment: OSU Extension Counties/Areas/State, CFAES/OSU, National Networks
- Context: Scale, Diversity, Complexity of Ohio's urban-suburban-rural interface
- Other (NUEL Award, Regional Caucus, Action Teams) - Nicole Debose
- Personal Commitments
Pre-Summit Video Overview
OSU Extension in the City - Addressing Ohio's Urban Influence and Urban-Suburban-Rural Interdependencies
(7 minute video by Dr. Julie Fox) PowerPoint