Ohio has unique urban-suburban-rural connections. Various indicators in the state demonstrate a dynamic flow of people and other resources throughout all geographic areas along the urban and rural continuum. Many Ohioans live in one county, work in another, and enjoy recreation and tourism in other counties. Other flows are studied from various interrelated perspectives, such as land use, commerce, food, water, Internet access, waste, pollution, and the environment.
Research and opinion on interdependencies began decades ago and continues in today's society. Urban-rural interdependencies have been studied through varied lenses, from political, economic, social, and system-focused perspectives. Several different typologies distinguish classifications of urban, suburban, and rural. Operationalizing awareness, connections, and relationships along the continuum presents opportunities for engagement. The following cases provide insight into examples of lessons learned, as well as individual and community impacts.
- Creating awareness of urban-rural interdependencies
- Initiating connections among specific audiences with shared interests, yet diverse perspectives
- Fostering relationships through comprehensive experiences that improve informed decision making related to interdependencies and impacts
- Advancing trusted partnerships that advance shared missions and endure shifts over time
Shifts in demographic characteristics, community conditions, and urban-suburban-rural interdependencies have resulted in unique strategies to strengthen the connection:
- What Unites and Divides Urban, Suburban and Rural Communities
- The Conversation collected six charts that illustrate the divide between rural and urban America
- The Potential of Rural-Urban Linkages for Sustainable Development and Trade
- Urban-Rural Connections: A Review of the Literature
- The Rural-Urban Fringe in Canada: Conflict & Controversy
- The Urban-Rural Divide in America - 5 Facts About the U.S. Suburbs
- Smart Regions go beyond city limits - They seamlessly connect our urban cores to our suburbs and rural areas, improving quality of life and economic opportunity for all people, regardless of socioeconomic or geographical barriers.
- Our Joint Future: Rural-Urban Interdependence in 21st Century Ohio
- A Reportcard on Rural and Urban Ohio
Rural Communities in an Urbanizing World - Presented by Mark Partridge at the Challenges and Opportunities for Economic Development in Ohio Conference, May 8, 2019
The Urban-Rural Continuum and Connections - Presented by Elena Irwin at the National Urban Extension Conference, May 23, 2019
- Commuting in America and net commuter flow indicates urban-rural interdependencies
- Rural-to-Urban Commuting: Three Degrees of Integration
- Building Smart Cities In 2017 Will Begin With Transportation Infrastructure (interesting historical perspective)
- Bringing Market Forces to the Transportation Equation